Tuesday, December 9, 2014

12 Movies for the Holidays

I love watching holiday movies. While in some aspects I am a Christmas traditionalist, not putting up any decorations until after thanksgiving and not listening to holiday music until my birthday (November 14th). I do make an exception for holiday movies. There are just so many that if I waited there wouldn't be enough time to watch them all. I love knitting my christmas present while watching a movie to get in the holiday spirit.
I decided to share some of my favorite christmas/ wintertime movie. I split the list into 3 categories; all time favorites, Netflix favorites, and wintertime movies.

Worth Owning on DVD

  • Elf. This movie is just so fun and has some great lines. Buddy the elf has got to be one of my favorite characters.
  • The Holiday. This is my go to when I want a rom-com with a hint of christmas. I'm definitely guilty of watching this all year long. It has a great cast and the stories are just perfect.
  • The Santa Clause. In my family this movie is a classic. we always watch it after thanksgiving dinner because that is when the story starts. The sequels are also a holiday must.
  • How the Grinch Stole Christmas (live version). This is another holiday classic. It is one of my favorite christmas movies and contains of my favorite lines (Santa go bye bye) and songs(Where are you Christmas).


Netflix Favorites.

  • A Christmas Kiss. I watched this for the first time last year and it was perfect. I was first intrigued because it seemed like your basic christmas romance. What separates this from the others is the cast that includes lots of actors who had minor role on other shows. The chemistry is also believable and not as far fetched as other movies.
  • Love Actually. This is a christmas classic that would be on the other list except it is on Netflix. This movie is has everything including a story line for everyones taste and a rockstar cast. not to mention it is british with all the accents, views, and humor.
  • Mistle Tones. I am a total sucker for the ABC Family original movie and one with two of my favorite 90's actors seemed like a win to me. Add in a musical competition and you have the makings of a perfect movie.
  • 12 Dates of Christmas. This movie has a groundhog day esque feel with the repeating days and it feels familiar while still standing out from the pack.


Wintertime

  • Chalet Girl. Available on Netflix. Includes Ed Westwick (Chuck Bass from Gossip Girl) with his english accent, billy night, and a girl finding her calling as a snowboarder. what is not to like. This is a great movie with a hilarious cast. It is totally worth it just to see Chuck bass play a decent guy.
  • Frozen. I definitely came late to the Frozen party however it is a great movie on par with the other disney classics.
  • Ice Princess. I have loved this movie since high school. Casey falls in love with ice skating and uses physics to get a better understanding. It is a great movie about girl power and the awesomeness of science.
  • Miracle. Probably, my favorite winter sport movies. It is about the miracle on ice when the USA hockey team took on the USSR at the Olympics.


No comments:

Post a Comment