Friday, March 7, 2014

Book Club Friday: An Abundance of Kathrines

This week for book club friday, I am reviewing An Abundance of Katherines by John Green.

Summary:

Katherine V thought boys were gross
Katherine X just wanted to be friends
Katherine XVIII dumped him in an e-mail
K-19 broke his heart 
When it comes to relationships, Colin Singleton's type happens to be girls named Katherine. And when it comes to girls named Katherine, Colin is always getting dumped. Nineteen times, to be exact.

On a road trip miles from home, this anagram-happy, washed-up child prodigy has ten thousand dollars in his pocket, a bloodthirsty feral hog on his trail, and an overweight, Judge Judy-loving best friend riding shotgun--but no Katherines. Colin is on a mission to prove The Theorem of Underlying Katherine Predictability, which he hopes will predict the future of any relationship, avenge Dumpees everywhere, and finally win him the girl. Love, friendship, and a dead Austro-Hungarian archduke add up to surprising and heart-changing conclusions in this ingeniously layered comic novel about reinventing oneself.

Good Reads


Review:

This book has been on my junior year of high school when I saw it on display at the library. It then disappeared in to the mass of books that are library shelves. Only to resurface a few years a go when I started watching vlogbrothers videos (youtube videos by John and Hank Green) and reading John Green's other novels. After several attempt to read it without success (mainly due to school work) I finally finished this week.

This book was definitely worth the wait. I loved all the characters and the format of the book. The book contains a lot of random tangents in the form of footnotes. The footnotes are full of interesting (though irrelevant) facts and anagrams. They really made it feel how Colin must think about things.

One of my favorite characters was Hasan, Colin's best friend. He is stuck on pause after taking time off before college. I can definitely relate to his lack of motivation. He also acts as Colin's filter for the outside world. I also loved how Colin changes throughout the book as he works on his theorem and interacts with the residents of Gunshot. It was also interesting to see how Colin thought of his intelligence and being a child prodigy.

The math nerd that I am loved the idea of a theorem that could predict the outcome of any romantic relationship. I love how the theorem is almost a character in and of its self. It goes from a simple graph with little accuracy to a complex theorem with several variables. It develops as Colin remembers things about his past relationships.

Overall this was a great novel perfect for anyone going though a transition in their life or who has enjoyed John Green's other books or videos.


3 comments:

  1. I love 'The Fault in Our Stars,' but this sounds completely different. For some reason, John Green's other novels just don't entice me to read them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to check this one out. I loved TFIOS but hated Paper Towns so...

    http://ilikebigbooksblog.wordpress.com/2014/03/07/book-review-on-the-island-by-tracey-garvis-graves/

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only John Green book I've read it The Fault in Our Stars, which I loved. And considering I'm a math person, this definitely needs to be a book I get to soon!

    ReplyDelete